Redecking Your Existing Deck
We often get calls from clients who like the layout and size of their existing wood deck, but hate the look of it in its current state. These decks tend to be in need of a little more maintenance than just another coat of stain. The grain is often lifting or the decking is cupping. Spindles twist and warp, stairs have settled, and there are usually some loose boards that need to be refastened. If this is the case with your current deck, you might want to consider a deck restore.
What is Redecking?
Redecking is an efficient way to restore a deck enjoying the benefits of a new deck without the full cost of a complete teardown and rebuild. Re-decking involves removing your railings, decking, and stairs but keeping the existing structure/frame. New decking, fascia, railings, and stairs are installed and you end up with a brand-new deck that is supported by your original frame.
Basic Requirements for Redecking
Not every deck is a good candidate for re-decking. In some cases, the pros and cons may weigh in favor of a new custom deck. Here are a few basic requirements that will help determine if redecking is an option for you.
- The structure and frame or your existing deck need to be in good shape.
- We need to be able to reasonably assume that the deck structure still has years of service life left.
- You like the size and layout of your current deck. We can do redecking with slight modifications to the existing design and layout, but if you are looking for major layout changes, you will most likely be better off doing a total tear out and rebuild.
- The deck has been flashed properly and is not causing any moisture issues to the building envelope.
- That's it! If your deck meets these few simple requirements, you should consider redecking.
Our Redecking Process
First, contact us to explain your current situation (and get a free estimate). We like to set up an on-site visit to evaluate the current structure and help determine if redecking is an option for you. We'll introduce you to all the decking and railing products we offer that would be available based on your specific needs and application. Once you make the material selections, we'll be off and running. You sit back, and we handle the rest. When your redecking project is complete it will be ready for the grand reopening party. Your friends will just see your new decking and railing and won't know you opted for a redecking package, that can be our little secret.