Enjoy your new deck this Memorial Day weekend
As we approach closer to Memorial Day, customers often express their desire for their deck project to be completed in time for the holiday. This is completely understandable because who wouldn’t want to use their new investment for the first “outdoor” holiday of the year? If you are going to have a project done in the spring, you might as well have it completed in time for Memorial Day.
We try our best to accommodate these deadlines but deck projects often require more time than people expect to get planned properly. The exception would be a deck re-surface project. Those are quite simpler to plan out and execute since the design/layout is already established. It’s then a matter of picking out your decking and railing material and off we go.
For a new deck there are more steps involved:
1. A design needs to be created. This might be straightforward or complex, depending on your needs, preferences, and design criteria.
2. Usually we first start with a design concept and then revisions will follow based on your input.
3. Materials and finishes need to be selected.
4. Project needs to be quoted.
5. Once you sign off on the project, we have to obtain necessary permits. Generally, these are the following: zoning permit, Homeowners association approval, and building permit. This process can take up to a month of time in itself.
6. We can then order materials and begin construction.
7. Depending on the size of the project, construction time will vary. On average, expect one week for small to medium projects, two or more weeks for larger projects.
Given all these steps it’s best to plan early. Two months in advance or more would give you time to prepare without being rushed. Again, how early will also depend on the size and complexity of the project. It never hurts to plan earlier than you think. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain. For those of you that are up against a wall, drop us a line. We still have a few openings available as of right now.
I founded Woodland Deck in 2000 to create decks and outdoor spaces to be enjoyed for generations. Here in beautiful Northeast Ohio, we’re lucky to experience four dramatically different seasons throughout the year, and I want you to be able to enjoy each one of them from the comfort of your own backyard. As a deck-building company, we are always looking for ways to better our products, services, and ourselves. We are passionate about life outside and believe that enjoying God’s creation is a rich gift to us.
April 13th, 2016